


and when he ended up eating 5 bowls, I begged him to stop....
Yesterday summer also arrived in the Netherlands and today the temperature reached 30 C (90 F)! For the most part it's been between 16 and 22 (-mid 60s to low 70s) so today was a shocker. The sun made us lazy and we spent most of the day yesterday in the garden. I did some drawing


Before the temperature reached its apex today, the boys and headed out for another ride along the North Sea. To follow the route we like best, we cross the border into Germany. But to tell the truth, I did not know where exactly the border was.... This sounds odd I know- in the States we live within 1/2 mile of the Maine/NH border. And you never have to wonder when you've crossed state lines since you are immediately bombarded with "Welcome to NH" or "Maine- the way life should be" signs. But not here, at least not since the advent of the EU- now you essentially have no way to know when you've crossed most international borders. But today I asked around in the village and I think I figured it out.

Anyway, our tour took us back into "nature" and along the Ems/Dollard estuary. Because the estuary is highly protected as a national park and UNESCO world heritage site http://www.waddensea-worldheritage.org/wadden-sea-world-heritage/ems-dollard it's not terribly easy to access it, so long boardwalks wend through the marshes and mudflats




By the time we were riding back from the sea, the temperature was soaring. So the boys were pretty spent by the time we returned to the village, but they humored me with a visit to the local vestigmusea (fortress museum). The wonderful and knowledgeable guides at the museum told us of the history of the village's development as a fortress, build in the 5 pointed star shape that we also saw in our visit to Oudeschans. Here's the museums replica of the fortress



No comments:
Post a Comment